Noto una recente tendenza della stampa satirica a terminare in 'y' alcuni cognomi; per esempio, oggi leggevo Renzy per Renzi e Alfy per Alfano.

Sapreste dire quale sia l'origine di questa modificazione, e se la stessa è usata anche in altre lingue neolatine?

An anglicism and a term of endearment used sarcastically as a diminutive?
    – user193
    Feb 21, 2014 at 21:22
    La modifica ortografica di y per i finale era comune in francese (anticamente si scriveva roy invece di roi, per esempio) ed è rimasta in inglese.
    – egreg
    Feb 21, 2014 at 22:59

2 Answers 2

I believe we can agree that this specific use in the Italian press is an attempt to sound "English" (many think it is "cool", "modern" - Italians are known to be xenophilous after all), hence we should call it an "anglicism".

Specifically it is a diminutive form of a given name (this is called a "hypocorism") and is typically used as a "term of endearment" ("vezzeggiativo", in Italian). Of course, such diminutive terms of endearment can also be used sarcastically as derogatory terms, as in the examples mentioned in the question.

I ignore the origin of the suffix "-y" as a diminutive (a "hypocorism by reduction"), some say it is of German origin, egreg suggested in his comment above it is of French origin. I suspect it might be common to more than one language.

Some reading (links from english.stackexchange):

On the origin of the English diminutive suffix -y, -ie, The Free Library

Etimology of suffix -y, Wiktionary

In questo specifico caso, Renzy puo' essere semplicemente la storpiatura di Renzie (a sua volta derivato da un'analogia fatta fra Renzi e il personaggio Fonzie). Questo l'ho trovato soprattutto nei commenti degli utenti, non tanto nei titoli della stampa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.