I need to translate a lot of terms in a IT-Application like buttons:

close
next
exit
search
etc...

Can anyone translate these or is there any site with a list of common terms for Italian? I'm not searching a generic translation, but technical IT terminology.

There is such a list. It is called “dictionary”. This is not a free translation site; please look at its description.
    – DaG
    Jan 29, 2015 at 8:27
    @user1344545 wordreference is a great free online dictionary
    – Stubborn
    Jan 29, 2015 at 13:04
    Sorry to all. Thats not what I am looking for. Of course I could google and I will find GoogleTranslate (Tia27 ?!?) and other online translations. But in case of my question, these are Information technologies (IT) termologies, which should be translated exacly. For example close can be translated in 10 different variants, but you will see close in a italien application always be translated as the same. Jan 30, 2015 at 7:53
    I do not see a reason for closing, the request is valid and well defined. I do not second the "generic dictionary" suggestion, many computer terms have a "crystallized" translation that may differ from more "everyday usage" counterpart. Microsoft provides their official dictionary to translate technical, UI-related terms, I'd take that one as a starting point. Jan 30, 2015 at 17:20
    He asked for a IT glossary in italian, it's not just translation. Something like this: proz.com/glossary-translations/english-to-italian-translations/…
    – WalterV
    Jan 31, 2015 at 22:18

2 Answers 2

There are several ways you can do that.

1. Most universal approach is Microsoft Language Portal. You can find translations of those words, find in which Microsoft projects it used and description of it. It is quite handy.

2. You can use Multilingual App Toolkit. It is targeting Windows application, however you can use it for any projects. Visit a website for more info. If you have any difficulties leave a comment and I will try to enhance my answer.

3. Another option is to use Microsoft Translator Hub. I recommend this if you have to translate a large project and have a consistency.

4. Next my recommendation is to use Google Translator Toolkit. However I am not sure that there is a way to set subject or target as IT.

• Google Translator Toolkit is an effective collaborative translation platform, but there is no way to set IT as the domain. Feb 6, 2015 at 12:46

google translate is helpful but does not always catch the context. my advice is to set up language pack on windows or just switch to italian if on ubuntu and reverse engineer. the heavy lifting is already done for you.

close -> chuidi. next -> prossimo or avanti (next, forward). backward -> indietro. exit -> esci. search -> cerca.

cheers -> saluti.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.