I was not successful in finding an exact equivalent Italian word for disenfranchise neither in Google nor in WordReference.

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary

disenfranchise transitive verb: to deprive of a franchise, of a legal right, or of some privilege or immunity especially: to deprive of the right to vote

In the Wordreference dictionary I can only find

Privare del diritto di voto.

Obviously this is a phrase that conveys the meaning of the word disenfranchise. However I'd like to know if there is a single Italian word expressing the same meaning.

  • 2
    Could you please add more context to your question and show some kind of attempt of translating it by yourself? – abarisone Nov 4 at 13:47
  • 1
    What's the problem with the translations "privare [qlcn] del diritto di voto" or "togliere il diritto di voto a [qlcn]"? Please, edit your question to clarify your specific problem. – Charo Nov 4 at 20:24
  • 2
    @FabioSpaghetti: Your question has received requests for clarification, been put on hold as unclear and been downvoted. So, apparently, yes, it seems that it needs some editing. – DaG Nov 5 at 6:35
  • 2
    So, if I understand correctly, your question is simply “Is there a single Italian word meaning ‘privare [qualcuno] del diritto di voto’?”. If this is the case, I believe the answer is no, but I am ready to stand corrected if someone suggests such a word. – DaG Nov 5 at 9:11
  • 2
    I took the liberty to edit the question with more details and reopen it. If I have changed the intended meaning of the question feel free to correct it. – Denis Nardin Nov 5 at 10:36

Your Answer


By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.