I've been reading a poem "Song to Joannes" by a futurist poet Mina Loy. Her poems are hard to interpret but there is one line that really confuses me.

Nothing so conserving

As cool cleaving

Note of the Q H U

Clear carving

Breath-giving

Pollen smelling

Space

Apart from other seeming nonsense, there's this Q H U.

I'm asking here because this poem is supposedly dedicated to her Italian lover with whom she lived in Florence in 1915-16. So I thought that by "Note of the Q H U" she meant a note to/by her lover and "Q H U" can be some acronym in Italian. For example, "It was fantastic" or "See you tomorrow" or whatever.

My other guess it might be a note of some perfume because there's a line about smelling further on.

Any thoughts about what it can mean? Or if this Italian at all?

Welcome to Italian.SE! Nothing obvious springs to mind (it's certainly not a common Italian acronym), but maybe some other user will have ideas – Denis Nardin Jan 2 '19 at 12:48
  • @DenisNardin thanks. My other guess it might be a note of some perfume because there's a line about smelling further on. – Oleksandr Fediienko Jan 2 '19 at 13:51
    Could you please add a link to the whole poem? – Federico Poloni Jan 2 '19 at 19:07
  • @FedericoPoloni added oncomouse.github.io/loy/songs.html – Oleksandr Fediienko Jan 3 '19 at 10:31
  • @OleksandrFediienko: Here there are possible meanings about QHU acronym: abbreviations.com/QHU – Joe Taras Jan 3 '19 at 11:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.