I mean “cool”, “nice”, “great” specifically in the generic sense of, if someone is talking to you and they say they did something nice and cool but not amazing or spectacular, you know, something ordinary but cool, like "I just went fishing this weekend", what is a generic way to say "oh, that's nice" or "oh, that's cool". Not cool in the sense of suave, sexy, popular or anything like that. Just a generic and polite way to reply to something someone said they did or something they saw or ate, etc., or that they are going to do. Like, "very nice" for instance.

• I would think "che bello!" or "buono" but I am not sure (che bello! being a little more excited) – John S Jan 29 at 17:16
  • Welcome to Italian.SE! This is a related question, possibly a duplicate: italian.stackexchange.com/questions/1225/… – Charo Jan 29 at 18:49
    @Charo I personally don't think it is a duplicate: John is asking about the usage of "cool" as an interjection in a conversation, not as an adjective. – Denis Nardin Jan 29 at 19:07

It's not so easy to give a common answer, you can use one of the following:

• Bello (neutral)

• Forte (a little childish)

• Interessante (formal)

but I usually skip directly to a follow up question, like

Com'è andata?

Or

Ti è piaciuto?

To better continue the conversation.

Welcome on ItalianSE!!! – abarisone Jan 29 at 17:51
  • thanks, i think that makes sense. what about "bene!" or "buono!" for this use? – John S Jan 30 at 3:05
    They have a slight different meaning, and should be used if the topic is something that could have gone wrong, like Ho capito come risolvere il mio problema, Ah, bene! – salvatore Jan 30 at 6:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.