I want to know if I put "Mi Amore" on a sign for the name of a store would it be understood as My Love by most languages although it may be incorrect? I understand that there is a proper way to say it but would it be grossly bad grammar for a Spanish, Italian, etc. diner? What other ways can I write it?

Welcome to Italian.SE! Have you tried looking in a dictionary before asking? And what would be the context (is it a salutation, an epithet, something else?) – Denis Nardin Feb 2 at 6:46
    Since it is none of those languages, every speaker of one of them would think: “Hell, they didn't even bother to get two words correct!” So, if I were you, I'd decide which language I want name in, and get it correct. – DaG May 26 at 16:36
  • @ DaG it was a concept and thanks to se I will not go forward with it. Thank y'all so much. – Muze the good Troll. May 26 at 18:47

The correct translation depends, unsurprisingly, from context. The following is a rough set of indications, with the caveat that there no absolute rules, just guidelines

• If you want to use it as an epithet (e.g. "I miss you, my love, and I cannot bear to be apart from you") the correct translation is Amore mio

• If you want to use it as a noun (e.g. "My love for you has never dimmed"), then I would use Il mio amore (note the presence of the article in front and the different order of the words)

Mi Amore is not correct Italian. It sounds like some weird mix of Italian and Spanish to me.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.