How would you ask "did I leave anything out?" in Italian? Like, if I made a list of things and I want to know if I did not include something that I was supposed to. I am thinking "non messo qualcosa?" ma non lo so.

1 Answer 1

Commonly you will hear a more active form of the expression with the verb "dimenticare"

Ho dimenticato qualcosa?

Dimentico qualcosa?

A more sophisticated (and somewhat quaint/formal) expression that is similar to what you have suggested uses the verb "omettere" (to omit).

Ho omesso qualcosa dalla/nella lista?

As Denis suggested, watch out with the pronunciation between "ho" and "omesso".

As DaG suggested, something similar to what you had in mind which I had not thought about is

C'è qualcosa che non ho messo/incluso?

I wouldn't recommend using the verb omettere: it's quite formal and easy to mishear as mettere (with exactly the opposite meaning!), especially after a word ending in -o.
    – Denis Nardin
    Feb 7, 2019 at 8:58
    Granted, it is quite formal, although I personally use it quite a lot, even in everyday contexts. And yes, one must have a mastery with respect to pronunciation to use it in the sentence above.
    – Easymode44
    Feb 7, 2019 at 9:05
    +1 for omettere/omesso, both in itself and because is possibly the word the OP tried to remember. Or perhaps he had in mind something like C'è qualcosa che non ho messo?
    – DaG
    Feb 7, 2019 at 11:20
  • @Dag good point, didn't think about it! I will edit the answer with your comments for the sake of completeness
    – Easymode44
    Feb 7, 2019 at 12:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.