I am writing a mobile app and use 1H, 1D and 7D (English), which is 1H, 1G and 7GG (Italian). That extra G is messing up my layout.

Is it ok to use 7G? I know Italians use GG for plural form of days (giorni), but I am really constrained with space.

Here is the context (market change in last 1 hour, last 1 day and last 7 days):

enter image description here

Welcome on ItalianSE!! In Italian for giorni we use the lowercase format gg. – abarisone Jun 6 at 13:10

As you can see in this page about abbreviations the correct way to express the abbreviation of giorni in Italian is gg.

It's up to you to decide if you can stretch a point about your constraints, but the correct form is that one.

• Thank you. I think it is better to use GG. – Primož Kralj Jun 6 at 13:31
    @PrimožKralj: Can't you use lower case letters? Personally, I'd find this more confusing than one or two gs. – DaG Jun 6 at 14:04
  • Basically I use uppercase everywhere in the app for 9 other languages, but maybe I could use lowercase for Italian if that makes sense to Italians. After all, I am making this for them. Here is the context: prntscr.com/nyfq1d Do you still think I should use lowercase? – Primož Kralj Jun 6 at 14:27
    I'd find it neater, but I don't think it's crucial. Let's see if someone else wants to chime in. I appreciate your thoroughness, in any case! – DaG Jun 6 at 14:50
    I agree with @DaG. It's neater, but not crucial to the point that doing otherwise would compromise comprehension. I would go with lowercase only if the price to pay is not excessive. I think that the context of the app would probably clear things up if anybody had any doubts on the nature of the symbols. – Easymode44 Jun 6 at 15:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.