I am wondering what the most accurate translation of the English phrase "to give up on someone" is in Italian. I am aware that there may be multiple, depending on the context, so I would just ask you to translate a few sentences:

"I thought he was a worthy student, but in the end I just gave up on him."

"He never gave up on me, even when I was treating him really badly."

"Thank you for not giving up on me when I failed"

Welcome to ItalianSE! Unfortunately this is not a translation service site, but if can you show us your best attempt along with your doubts I think someone on this site will be pleased to help you.
    – abarisone
    Jun 27 '19 at 11:25
  • The only reason I am asking for translations is so that I have a full understanding of the issue. I do not need any of these sentences in particular, I would just like to know how to express this concept (which I don't).
    – gianluca
    Jun 27 '19 at 13:27
  • My dictionary says that “give up on” means “stop having faith or belief in”. In Italian it could be “perdere la fiducia”.
    – egreg
    Jun 27 '19 at 14:56
  • wordreference.com/enit/give%20up suggests "give up on sb => (1) lasciare, lasciare perdere, abbandonare (2) perdere la fiducia in". Meaning 2 seems spot-on here. Jun 28 '19 at 15:31

I generally translate it with "lasciar perdere" or "rinunciare". With this in mind, your phrases would translate in:

"Pensavo fosse uno studente meritevole, ma ho finito con il lasciarlo perdere".

"Non si è mai arreso con me, anche quando lo stavo trattando veramente male".

"Grazie per non esserti arreso con me quando ho fallito".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.