I have heard the question:

Vengono anche loro?

Is the subject explicit and put at the end of the sentence for emphasis? Could I simply say:

• Vengono anche?
  • Loro vengono anche?

Which form is the most usual?

"Pure" and "anche" must always be accompanied by the element they refer to. In the question "Vengono?", that is the implicit subject "loro". It is one of the few cases where the personal pronoun cannot be omitted. In the specific case of "anche", it must also precede the subject. Examples:

• Viaggiamo anche/pure noi.
  • Viaggiamo noi pure.
  • Anche/pure noi viaggiamo.
  • Noi pure viaggiamo.

Regarding the examples of the question, the correct alternatives are:

• Vengono anche loro?
  • Anche loro vengono?

"Vengono anche" and "Loro vengono anche" are wrong.

| improve this answer | |

“Vengono anche loro” is correct, the other two forms are not! If you want to omit the subject you could say “Vengono?”

| improve this answer | |
    Welcome to Italian.SE! Could you please elaborate on your answer? For example, you could greatly improve it by explaining why the other two forms are incorrect. – Denis Nardin Aug 14 '19 at 6:43
  • I'd also like to understand why the other two sentences are incorrect. – Alan Evangelista Aug 17 '19 at 20:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.