I'm watching a movie whose story takes place in Rome. People often drop the -RE ending in verb infinitives. Example:

Sai che l'avvocato è l'unico che può farti uscire?

The speaker pronounces "uscire" in this sentence as /uʃi/. I have already seen letters dropped in others languages as a result of lazy pronunciation. Is that the case here or is it a feature of the Roman accent?

Not sure who talks like this. A feature of Roman dialect is to omit the whole syllable “-re” from infinitives (volere > vole', avere > ave', andare > anna' and so on). Wouldn't you happen to have an extract from that film, say on YouTube, or at least could you say who is the actor who talks like this?
    – DaG
    Aug 27 '19 at 7:44
    @DaG Hearing the dialogue again, now I think that "uscire" is indeed pronounced /uʃi/ . I have corrected my question. Aug 27 '19 at 15:11
  • Thanks for the correction.
    – DaG
    Aug 27 '19 at 15:39

It should be some central/southern dialect's form. It is not correct Italian.

You can actually find grammatically correct forms of truncated words in Italian. For example,

Sai che l'avvocato è l'unico che può farti uscir?

would be correct. It is not used in the informal/spoken language.

You usually find this form in songs, poems or "old" anthology (by "old" I mean not current).

• I would like a confirmation of where this is used (only Rome or the entire central/southern Italy). Aug 28 '19 at 6:39
    I wouldn't say this is "not correct Italian", but a regional-dialectal form of oral speech.
    – Charo
    Aug 28 '19 at 8:51
  • @AlanEvangelista it used both in Rome and parts of southern Italy
    – amm0nium
    Aug 28 '19 at 22:07
  • @Charo you can consider it a mispronunciation of the Italian "uscire" or the correct pronunciation of the roman/southern "uscì". In this case it is surely a dialectal expression. Either way, it is not Italiano...
    – amm0nium
    Aug 28 '19 at 22:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.