Word Reference's Italian dictionary gives the following pronunciations:

Is this correct? If so, is it usual that the pronunciation of a vowel of an adjective is different in the corresponding adverb with the -mente suffix?

I assume you are talking about the pronunciation of the E in the second syllable. The change from [ɛ] in [sinˈtʃɛro] to [e] in [sintʃeraˈmente] is completely regular and predictable, because "standard"* Italian pronunciation includes a rule saying that [ɛ] and [ɔ] are only possible in the stressed syllable of a word. When suffixation causes the stress to shift to another syllable, the formerly stressed [ɛ] and [ɔ] turn into [e] and [o] respectively.

If the stressed syllable contains a rising diphthong such as [jɛ] or [wɔ], sometimes the entire diphthong is replaced by [e] or [o] when the syllable becomes unstressed. But other times the glide remains, as in the diminutive cuoricino [kworiˈʧino] from cuore [ˈkwɔre]. (The form coricino is apparently archaic or dialectal.) Unlike the change of [ɛ] and [ɔ] into [e] and [o], the loss of the glide element of the rising diphthongs [jɛ] and [wɔ] in unstressed syllables is not an automatic or exceptionless process in modern Italian. (I recently read a paper that tried to find patterns to it, but I don't remember right now exactly what it said.) I can't think of a -mente word where a diphthong is converted into a single vowel; I only mentioned this type of alternation because it is somewhat related in a more general way to the topic of your question.

*Note: The concept of a "standard" for pronunciation is rather tricky. Unlike spelling, which is about the use of discrete letters, pronunciation involves sounds, which can vary on a continuous basis. I'm just using "standard" to refer to the rules of pronunciation that are commonly described as standard, or taught to learners.

Just to mention some cases where the /jɛ/->/e/ and /wɔ/->/o/ transformation of the dittongo mobile sort of applies: siedo/sedere (infinitive); piede/pedone, pedale, ...; nuovo/novità; suono/sonante, sonoro, ... (but, in contemporary Italian, suoniamo etc.); tuono/tonante and so on. – DaG Sep 5 '19 at 8:35
  • Thanks for the answer! In case it interests anyone, the same phenomenon does not happen in Brazilian Portuguese. "sincero" and "sinceramente" are respectively pronounced /sin'sɛru/ and /sinsɛra'ment͡ʃi/ (or /sinsɛra'menti/ in some regions). – Alan Evangelista Oct 5 '20 at 22:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.