I read the following sentence in an Italian learning language tool:

Il paziente ora è fuori pericolo.

Does it have the same meaning of "il paziente è fuori pericolo ora" and are both equally usual?

• Yes IMO they're equivalent and another equivalent sentence is Ora il paziente è fuori pericolo. I don't have metrics about the usage, but I think they're all pretty much used the same. – Riccardo De Contardi Sep 20 '19 at 7:00
  • Thanks! I wanted to confirm because that is not so in English ("The patient now is out of danger" is gramatically correct, but it is not usual). – Alan Evangelista Sep 20 '19 at 12:59

Your phrase can be rewritten in many ways, all of them mantaning the same meaning:

1. Il paziente ora è fuori pericolo.
  2. Il paziente è fuori pericolo ora.
  3. Ora il paziente è fuori pericolo
  4. Il paziente è ora fuori pericolo.

You can find some information about the correct positioning of the adverb in this post La posizione dell'avverbio:

Per quanto riguarda la posizione dell'avverbio, generalmente si mette dopo il verbo:

In questo letto dormo raramente.

e prima di un aggettivo o di un altro avverbio :

Tua zia è veramente noiosa.

Ho mangiato molto bene.

So the general rule is that the position of the adverb is after the verb.

When the adverb refers to a particular element of the phrase, refers to the whole phrase, it can be positioned in every point of the phrase but separated with comma:

Quando l'avverbio, invece si riferisce a un elemento particolare della frase, si riferisce a tutta la frase nel suo complesso, la sua collocazione può avvenire in qualsiasi punto della frase, dalla quale però risulta separato mediante la virgola:

Francamente, non sono convinta dell'offerta.

Non sono convinta, francamente, dell'offerta.

Non sono convinta dell'offerta, francamente.

| improve this answer | |
  • We could also add the cases that can be considered "poetic licenses" like Raramente in questo letto dormo ;) – Riccardo De Contardi Sep 20 '19 at 9:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.