Does Italian use the Simple Future tense for future events on which some other event depends on? Examples:

• Parlerà quando potrà. (Verb in question: potere)
  • Parlerà appena finirà di mangiare. (Verb in question: finire)

My question arises from the fact that Portuguese, Spanish and French use distinct verb tenses for such a situation.

Can you give an example in French (and maybe Portuguese and Spanish, but French is easier for me)? The tense systems of French and Italian are pretty much identical, and I am not exactly sure what you're referring to (maybe the futuro anteriore?) – Denis Nardin Sep 20 '19 at 10:12
  • @DenisNardin: Spanish uses subjunctive in these situations: "Hablará cuando pueda" and "Hablará cuando haya acabado de comer". – Charo Sep 20 '19 at 14:55
  • @DenisNardin: Spanish uses subjunctive present in both sentences, as already mentioned. Portuguese uses subjunctive future in both sentences: "Ele falará quando puder" and "Ele falará quando tiver acabado". French uses "futur simple" and "futur anterieur": "Il parlera quand il pourra" and "Il parlera dès qu'il aura fini de manger". I was not sure if Italian was equal to one of those Romance languages in this matter, but your comment made it clear. – Alan Evangelista Sep 20 '19 at 16:50
  • @AlanEvangelista Yes, Italian works pretty much like French (up to a few Gallicismes). – Denis Nardin Sep 20 '19 at 16:55

Parlerà quando potrà.

The action potere is simultaneous to the action parlare, so we use the futuro semplice for both verbs.

Parlerà appena avrà finito di mangiare.

The action finire (di mangiare) precedes the action parlare, so we use the futuro anteriore for the verb describing the earlier action.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.