I have read the following sentence in an Italian language learning tool:

Menti sapendo di mentire.

I think that means "You lie knowingly"? Could that construction be used with other verbs as a synonym of "intenzionalmente" (e.g., "Ferisce i suoi sentimenti sapendo de ferire")?

Di ferire, not *de ferire. Moreover, since ferire is a transitive verb, if one were to use that sentence, they'd probably say Ferisce i suoi sentimenti sapendo di ferirli.
    – DaG
    Sep 21, 2019 at 8:04

1 Answer 1

Your translation is perfectly correct. The sentence means exactly "You lie and you know that".

Of course you can use the same construct with other verbs, albeit it is less common (myself, I've never heard "Ferisce sapendo di ferire" but it is totally valid).

The sentence is equivalent of

Menti e lo fai di proposito

or

Menti e lo fai apposta

But the original sentence uses the repetition of the verb Mentire at the beginning and the end of the phrase for rethorical purposes to emphasize the concept; if I am not wrong this figure of speech is an Epanalepsis.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.