I have read the following sentence in an Italian learning tool:

Si guadagna da vivere suonando il violino. (= He/she earns a living playing violin)

Is "guadagnarsi da vivere" the only correct/usual form of that expression or could I say "guadagnare da vivere" too?

• In my opinion the correct form is Si guadagna da vivere ; where "Si" means "for himself/herself"; I think you can just use "Guadagna da vivere" only in spoken language. Sep 22 '19 at 14:26
  • @RiccardoDeContardi: Ricercando "guadagna da vivere" -"si guadagna da vivere" su Google Libri si trovano parecchi esempi di "guadagna da vivere" senza "si".
    – Charo
    Sep 22 '19 at 17:08
  • google.com/…
    – Charo
    Sep 22 '19 at 17:10
  • Ci sono anche false occorrenze, però.
    – Charo
    Sep 22 '19 at 17:11

Treccani.it suggerisce entrambe le versioni:

guadagnare o guadagnarsi la vita (o da vivere), il pane, ossia il denaro necessario ai bisogni della vita;

• I also want to know if both expressions are usual. Could you please add that to your answer? Sep 23 '19 at 2:08
    @Alan Evangelista - in my personal experience the reflexive form is more common, but I cannot support that with data. It is just my personal opinion.
    – user519
    Sep 23 '19 at 6:10
    @AlanEvangelista: A way to see that the form with "guadagnarsi" seems to be more common is searching "guadagna da vivere" in Google Books: practically all the occurences you find are of "si guadagna da vivere". To find "guadagna da vivere" without "si" you have to search "guadagna da vivere" -"si guadagna da vivere" (see the link on a previous comment) and even then you will find some false occurrences corresponding to "si guadagna da vivere".
    – Charo
    Sep 24 '19 at 8:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.