I have heard the following dialogue between a politician and a gangster in a TV series:

• G: Lei è un vero rappresentante del popolo.
  • P: Esatto. Solo che non rappresento quelli come lei.
  • G: Dice? Penso che io posso anche averla votata.
  • P: Lo escludo.

What does "dice" mean here? "Is that so" ? Is it an usual expression?

• I have answered about dice, but there is something amiss elsewhere. The first sentence doesn't really work. It should be either “Non rappresento persone come lei” or “Non rappresento quelli come lei” or, in a rather involute way, “Non rappresento persone di quelle come lei”. And after “Dice?” it probably is “Pensi che...” – DaG Oct 7 '19 at 15:45
  • @DaG I had (incorrectly) changed that first line in order to shorten the copied dialogue. I have fixed it now. – Alan Evangelista Oct 7 '19 at 15:52
  • Ok, thanks for clarifying. – DaG Oct 7 '19 at 15:54

Yes, it is. It literally means “Do you say (so)?” or, as you say, “Is that so?” or “Are you sure?”.

Dice is here the 3rd person singular of the present tense of dire. It's the 3rd person and not the 2nd since the two are using the courtesy form, Lei.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.