Are these two sentences pronounced the same? La donna ha il burro and La donna il burro.

Where have you seen "La donna il burro"? It's not a well constructed sentence, since it lacks of verb. – Charo Dec 19 '19 at 22:38
  • I am aware of that. I am asking if Ha is just not pronounced. – Hank Dec 19 '19 at 23:47
    What makes you think that “ha” is not pronounced? – egreg Dec 20 '19 at 9:56
  • I never hear "ha" after donna. I thought you did not say donna-a il but rather donna il. Certain sounds seem to dissapear when people speak. Should I not just let certain sounds dissapear (Elision?)? – Hank Dec 20 '19 at 13:55

The two phrases are pronounced differently, and the difference lies in a longer “a” and, in some marked articulations, perhaps in some kind of light (glottal?) stop between donna and ha: something like /la'dɔn:aʔail'bur:o/. Let's say, empirically, that in La donna ha il burro there is definitely one more syllable than in La donna il burro.

But we'd need here a professional phonetician.

| improve this answer | |
  • I think I get it. – Hank Dec 20 '19 at 14:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.