I read that gg is a geminated or lengthened consonant - I also have read that before i, g is made into the affricate. Do I make it into a geminated affricate?

Welcome to Italian.SE! – Charo Jan 22 at 12:31
  • Thank you I have 1 friend who is an Italian / filipino who invited me to learn it - – Lol Flo Jan 22 at 12:38
  • Could you give an example of a word whose pronunciation you would like to understand? From what I can tell the answer to your questions is "yes", but pronunciation is always so tricky and context depending that concrete examples will make it easier for us to write an answer. – Denis Nardin Jan 22 at 12:49
  • Like in messaggio – Lol Flo Jan 22 at 12:53
    Is your question about terminology (i.e., if “geminated affricate” is the correct term) or about how to pronounce such letters? In any case, there is an apparently in-depth study on the matter here: newyork.diet.uniroma1.it/Papers/J16-Faluschi_al-EJLS01.pdf – DaG Jan 23 at 9:09

In Italian the letters gi may form a digraph that denotes the affricate pronunciation /d͡ʒ/ before a, o or u. Before e or i, the consonant g is pronounced /d͡ʒ/. In all the following words, there is the affricate:

giacca gioco giusto gente ginestra

To be clearer, gi is a digraph only if another vowel (a, o or u) follows. However, it is not a digraph if the i is tonic (like in pubalgia or leggii, plural of leggio).

In the first three words there is no /i/ sound.

When the affricate is geminated, it is written gg (before e or i) or ggi (before a, o or u):

roggia messaggio laggiù aggettivo raggi

The surface pronunciation of the affricate /d͡ʒ/ may vary depending on the speaker’s variety of Italian, in particular for the geminated one that can even become very similar to /j/; pronouncing /d͡ʒ/ as [ʒ] is not at all uncommon in central Italy (some parts of Tuscany, for instance). In southern Italy, /d͡ʒ/ is commonly geminated also when standard Italian would prescribe no gemination.

| improve this answer | |
  • Does that mean that ginestra is pronounced as /d͡ʒ/nestra - - – Lol Flo Jan 25 at 22:06
    @LolFlo No, the /i/ is pronounced; gi is a digraph only if another vowel (a, o or u) follows. I added some clarifications. – egreg Jan 25 at 22:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.