Sometimes in television shows like "Big Brother" or "X-Factor" I heard people saying "Ho fatto un provino".

Suppose I want to say to another person that those persons have made "un provino", can I say

Quelle persone, in particolare quelle che hanno partecipato al 'Grande Fratello', sono state tutte provinate.

I.E., does "provinate" work there?

• My reaction to reading that sentence was «"provinate" non si può sentire...» :-( – Matteo Italia Nov 11 '13 at 14:51

While you might hear it spoken, it's not correct Italian written language. There is no single word to render the meaning but you can use a phrase

Quelle persone, in particolare quelle che hanno partecipato al 'Grande Fratello', sono state tutte sottoposte a provini.

Another way in which you can convey a similar meaning, but not exactly, is to use the term 'selezionate' (selected) o 'scrutinate' (carefully examined).

Quelle persone, in particolare quelle che hanno partecipato al 'Grande Fratello', sono state tutte selezionate (scrutinate).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.