"Anillado" is the translation in Spanish, but there isn't one appearing for me right now on any Italian dictionary that I use... My university is public so even though I was unenrolled I still get to visit the mathematics community. I have to know this translation!


2 Answers 2


This seems to be a mathematical term which, I suppose, is too specialized to be found in common vocabularies.

Ringed in English (and anillado in Spanish) can be translated with anellato or inanellato (https://www.wordreference.com/enit/ringed). The first form means more "having ring(s)" or "shaped like a ring" and the second more "enclosed by ring(s)" or "wearing a ring".

If this can help, a space enclosed by two concentric circles (Annulus) is called corona circolare (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_circolare) and anello in algebra refers to ring of sets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_sets). For what I understand, not being a mathematician, these last definitions have little to do with "ringed space".

I think that the term spazio anellato/inanellato can be understood by an Italian mathematician as it is more or less the direct translation from English, but maybe he would be happier without any translation, i.e. "il ringed space".

  • 3
    I don't wish to downvote, but to be honest these suggestions are not too on-point. This is a very technical term, and it is difficult for a non-mathematician to navigate between the various meaning of "anello" and "spazio" here. I am an (applied) mathematician myself, and I do not know how to translate it. :) Luckily it's full of mathematicians here, and some from the most-fitting branch of it, including our mods... Mar 8, 2020 at 14:29

Even if this question has already an accepted answer, I thought it might be useful to post an answer from direct experience.

When I took a scheme theory class in Pisa in 2010, the Italian expression for "(locally) ringed space" was indeed "spazio (localmente) anellato". As you can see this is also the term used in the Italian Wikipedia page for schemes.

It is worth mentioning that this indeed has no relation with any kind of "annulus", here "ring" is in the sense of abstract algebra.

  • 1
    What's the reason of the downvote? Denis is a mathematitian, so it seems to me a suitable person to answer this question.
    – Charo
    Mar 9, 2020 at 19:31
  • 3
    My teacher of algebraic geometry was American and the textbook was Hartshorne's. However the language was Italian and the term used was indeed “spazio anellato”.
    – egreg
    Mar 10, 2020 at 11:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.