I know that this question might not be directly related to this group but I am searching an answer

I work where all of the other employees are Italian. Many times it happens that they start talking but I can't get what they are referring to, specially when they narrate what happened to them in some certain event like when they talk to each other in coffee time.

But sometimes when they want me also understand what they are talking, they talk to each other in someway that I can follow.

Exclude dialect, I am only talking about standard Italian.

How do I improve this part of listening and comprehension?

Maybe also they speak in dialect or using some dialect words not understandable outside the group. For example, we use "menarèl" for the stick to turn the coffee. I think nobody would understand it outside our office.
    – CarLaTeX
    Mar 8 '20 at 14:27
  • @CarLaTeX This is also possible, yes.
    – Nico
    Mar 8 '20 at 14:27
    There might be many factors at work. By quoting cases in which "they narrate what happened to them in some certain event" you might refer to conversations that are not focused on professional issues. Should this be the case, always bear in mind that colloquial conversations are fraught with idioms or words that one wouldn't adopt in formal speech. So trying to extend your comprehension to different registers could help.
    – Nico
    Mar 8 '20 at 14:28
    Foreigners often notice that “Italians talk one way but write in another way” that is the written language tends to bit more formal and structured than spoken language.
    – user519
    Mar 8 '20 at 15:02
    Are you able to watch movies in Italian (especially contemporary movies with people talking fast)? If not, subtitled movies are a good exercise to build listening comprehension. What kind of C1 exam did you take? If it is a normal university exam, I should warn you that the level they claim is usually rather inflated (e.g. I'm allegedly a B2 in German, but really I'm not in practice).
    – Denis Nardin
    Mar 9 '20 at 14:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.