Can someone explain why we are using "ce" in "ce la faccio", for example? Why isn't it enough to use "la faccio"? I think it should be that way since "la" indicates "it". Would love to understand the use of "ce" more profoundly.

Have you seen these similar questions? [1] and [2]
    – DaG
    Mar 16 '20 at 8:46
    Yes but they did not address why "ce" is in use. Another example is "ce l'hai", not necessarily "farcela". Why "ce"? And how to memorise or know when to use it?
    – LoveIsHere
    Mar 16 '20 at 11:59
  • @LoveIsHere: Do you mean "ce" instead of "ci"? Or simply why is this pronominal particle in use in these expressions?
    – Charo
    Mar 16 '20 at 12:19
  • Why do we use ce/ci + lo/li if it seems like they have the same meaning?
    – LoveIsHere
    Mar 16 '20 at 12:21
    @Charo. Ok Thank you. I will read more about it. It is good to know it is more of a phrase and not very explainable...
    – LoveIsHere
    Mar 16 '20 at 16:46

The clitic pronoun ci carries the “there” meaning, which implies the directionality towards which the action is directed. The phrase ce la faccio doesn’t carry the meaning of la faccio —i. e. farla— by itself, since the verb farcela was grammaticalized, just like pronominal verbs like divertirsi. It was not inherited from Latin, but chances are that its “directionality” was derived from Neapolitan. Same situation happens with avercela [con qc], which is entirely grammaticalized and, thus, it is not divisible or cannot be rephrased simply as averla [con qc].

Grammaticalized pronominal verbs occurred, too, in Spanish, for instance: pasarla [adv.], whose meaning is absolutely different to that of pasar.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.