Duolingo gives the sentence "They asked me to leave the company" and gives the translation as:

"Mi hanno chiesto di lasciare la ditta" and does not accept "Hanno chiesto che io lasci la ditta"

Since there are two subjects and there is a request that is really a demand or exhortation, shouldn't this require the subjunctive? Why is it wrong? I realize in informal conversation the subjunctive is sometimes not used but is the subjunctive wrong here? And if it is wrong, why?

The construction with the infinitive is perfectly correct and usual, not at all informal; it's the construction with the subjunctive that sounds a bit stilted. With verbs like chiedere, ordinare, invitare, pregare, esortare the usual construction is with a suitable preposition and the infinitive. – DaG Apr 23 at 20:57
    I think Duolingo is too strict; the second phrase is perfectly legitimate: it is only a matter style. Does Duolingo also refuse "[Mi] hanno richiesto..."? – linuxfan says Reinstate Monica Apr 24 at 6:00
    In addition to what @DaG said, there's a small difference in the meaning. While "Mi hanno chiesto di lasciare" is the exact translation, "Hanno chiesto che io lasci la ditta" means that they asked [whoever], and since it's not usual construction if the asked me, we imply that they asked someone else (my boss?) to make me leave. – Old Man of Aran Apr 24 at 6:36
  • Welcome to Italian.SE! – Charo Apr 24 at 7:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.