I have read the following sentence in a Quora answer:

Dopo la grandissima, prima trilogia, le hanno provate tutte per rinverdire i fasti di Star Wars. La prosopopea familiare portata all'esasperazione con colpi di scena a ripetizione su parentele che al confronto Beautiful è una passeggiata di salute (e L'Ascesa di Skywalker è l'apice).

What does "passeggiata di salute" mean here? "health walk" does not make sense in English.

Passeggiata di salute would indeed literally mean a walk, seen as something that is good for one's health; however, it is more often used to mean something leisurely, unproblematic. A bit like “easy-peasy”, perhaps.

So, in this context, the writer mentions a soap opera like The Bold and the Beautiful (Beautiful in Italian), renowned for its frequent and often far-fetched dramatic turns of events, to say – quite hyperbolically – that, compared to the last Star Wars films, that soap opera was straightforward and and not at all reliant on sensational revelations.

All in all, I wouldn't take that Quora answer as a model of Italian style. It itself relies quite a bit on hyperbole and not-exceedingly-well-mastered rhetorical devices: rinverdire i fasti, prosopopea familiare...

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks for the answer! A similar idiom in English is "a walk in the park". – Alan Evangelista Jun 10 at 12:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.