Why are there two ways of the conjugation of some verbs? For example "provvedere" shown in the dictionary. Is the red one more commonly used?

The red colour seems to me to indicate that the conjugation form is irregular. – Charo Aug 31 at 5:43
    That said, your question is not completely clear to me. What exactly are you expecting to see in an answer? – Charo Aug 31 at 8:55
    The verb provvedere is a composite of pro and vedere. The conjugation of vedere has the same peculiarities. However veggo, veggono and vidente are antiquated and no longer common; veduto and visto alternate. On the other hand provvisto is commonly used only as an adjective and the past tenses are formed with provveduto. – egreg Aug 31 at 14:12
    Well, the question clearly asks “why” so I guess it is an etymological issue. – Hachi Aug 31 at 18:13
    Thank you, everyone! Sorry for not expressing my question clearly. I got curious about etymology things when I was looking it up in the dictionary. I was wondering if there might be some explanations about that. Is there a kind of verbs more likely to have two forms of participles? Perhaps, I'm just guessing, the older version may follow some regulations of pronunciation and the newer version is more and more commonly used simply because it's easier to remember the regular ones? – smartsheep Sep 1 at 1:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.