Can the verb "andare" conjugated in the present tense be used to refer to the future?

Example: Vado a prendere la macchina. (= I go get the car / I'm going to get the car) (present action). Could it also refer to plan of getting the car in the future, i.e. the speaker is not doing the action right now ?

Related question: italian.stackexchange.com/q/11563. The expressions discussed in this question and their answers refer to the imminent future. – Charo Nov 10 '20 at 17:28
    This is not a peculiarity of the verb andare. It is quite frequent, in an informal register, to use the present tense to refer to future actions. For instance, “Fa' [una certa cosa]” “Non mi va, lo faccio domani” and so on, for almost any verb (“lo cerco/lavo/chiamo... domani”). – DaG Nov 10 '20 at 17:39
    Dal libro Grammatica e pratica della lingua italiana per studenti stranieri di Federica Colombo: "È possibile usare il presente anche per parlare di azioni che si svolgono nel futuro. Domani iniziano i corsi di danza. La prossima settimana telefono a Carlo. Luigi parte domani mattina". – Charo Nov 10 '20 at 19:15
    When speaking of a planned action, the present tense can be used in phrases like lunedì parto per le vacanze, or domani vado da mio cugino. – kiamlaluno Nov 10 '20 at 22:51
    @Charo Don't be fooled by the wannabe chef jargon. There is a big difference: “vado a prendere la macchina” implies a real movement to where the car is; the action will take place immediately or in a very short time; “vado a impiattare” has no real motion implied: the wannabe chef remains in exactly the same place. – egreg Nov 11 '20 at 22:48

Yes, the present can be used instead of the future, but a time specification must be present:

Vado a prendere la macchina nuova
Domani vado a prendere la macchina nuova

In the first case, without time specifications, the speaker is going to get the new car now. It can also be

Sto per andare a prendere la macchina nuova

if the action will take place in a short time. All action verbs can be used in the same way:

Telefono a Maria (now)
Domani telefono a Maria (tomorrow)
Il mese prossimo telefono a Maria (next month)

The future need not be immediate, as the last example shows; even

L'anno prossimo vado in vacanza a Forlimpopoli

would be good. Similarly,

Corro a prenderlo (now)
Fra un anno corro a prenderlo (irony implied)

The verb “andare”, though, has come under the sad fate of being used for “immediate action”, particularly in the fashionable jargon of TV programs on cooking:

vado a infornare, vado a impiattare, vado a versare

where the speaker moves not farther than a few centimeters. Avoid it, if you're not a wannabe chef.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.