Usually the b does not pose problems for me understanding Italian. But recently twice I have heard while watching some old movies the word baldracca, and the b sounded both times for me like v. Is this word an exception, or it's me not hearing properly?

UPDATE
Thank you guys for answering my question. I have upped the volume considerably and now I hear the propper b
The movie where I heard first the word was I Marziani Hanno 12 Mani 1964, and the word is pronounced on 1:18:17 and again a second later.

I'm not aware of regional varieties of Italian where /b/ is pronounced like [v] (or similar sounds) like in Spanish. On the other hand, our perception of foreign languages often merges unusual heard sounds with ones of our main language. – egreg Dec 25 '20 at 10:03
    One or more specific examples would be quite useful. – DaG Dec 25 '20 at 10:42
  • @Charo, thank you for the link to the dictionary i was unaware of. – LetzerWille Dec 25 '20 at 13:04
    Since we're here... In Italian only the first word of a title (an proper nouns, if any) is written with a capital letter. So, it's I marziani hanno 12 mani. – DaG Dec 25 '20 at 17:31
    I’m voting to close this question because apparently it's not asking anything anymore. – DaG Dec 26 '20 at 10:12

The word "baldracca" isn't an exception. As you can see, according to Dizionario d’ortografia e di pronunzia, its b it's pronounced [b].

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.