I am confused by "capo". In its first meaning it is the "leader" or "captain" but there seems to be a figurative sense as in this expression: "E un capo classico" - where does the figurative meaning come from, and in what context can it be used (di vestiario? di musica? ... )

Thanks!

As you can see for instance here, capo has lots of possible meanings. Without a context, it's hard to give you a definite answer. As an Italian, I'd guess someone is talking about clothing, but who knows.
    – DaG
    Apr 25 at 19:55
    Il senso di capo riferito all’abbigliamento è quelli di unità, pezzo singolo: “Unità in un insieme di animali o cose: un gregge di duecento capi; capo di vestiario” dizionari.corriere.it/dizionario_italiano/C/capo.shtml
    – Hachi
    Apr 25 at 19:59
    Thanks, I think the links mentioned answered the question, but my Italian is good enough to catch everything: Capo is part of a body? Also what does capo d'anno for example refer to?
    – poseid
    Apr 26 at 15:33
    Yes, "capo" means, among other things, "head" and it is from that meaning as "head" that many other meanings stemmed (e.g. "leader", as the head was considered the most important part of the body, or "top/beginning" as the head is the top of the body). "Capo d'anno" refers to the beginning of the year.
    – secan
    Apr 26 at 18:45
    1- avere dolor, mal di capo; 2- capo di Stato Maggiore; 3- capo di vestiario; 4- in capo al mondo; 5- capo d’acqua; 6- il capo del chiodo, delo spillo; 7- discorso diviso in tre capi; 8- cosa fatta capo ha; ....... Apr 26 at 19:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.