Is there an Italian name for the doorway curtains found especially in towns in the Venice lagoon, such as Burano?

One suggestion was that they are called tenda da sole a caduta, however, I'm looking for the doorway coverings that you could pull aside, and tenda da sole a caduta seem to be more like awnings that are fixed in place at top and bottom.

  • I asked this question on Stack Exchange travel, and it was suggested I might find better luck here.
    – Ryan
    Jul 2 '21 at 18:56
  • 1
    Welcome to Italian.SE!
    – Charo
    Jul 3 '21 at 11:25
  • 1
    I add to my previous comment that I immagine that, sometimes, you may need to add some explanation to specify it doesn't need any kind of support structure, but "solamente anelli o ganci per appenderla". Maybe "una di quelle che sono pronte all'uso" ("una tenda pronta all'uso").
    – Charo
    Jul 4 '21 at 8:49
  • 1
    I am a native Italian speaker but I've never heard them called in any particular way. I'd say we simply refer to them as tenda / tende (curtain / curtains) and describe them in different ways, if we need to be more specific: for example "tenda per porta" (doorway curtain) or "tenda da sole per porta" (door awning). The type composed by many separate strips or thin ropes is usually referred to as "tenda antimosche" (fly-stopping curtain).
    – secan
    Jul 5 '21 at 15:28
  • 3
    I consulted a Venetian friend who asked some people from Burano and was told they're called “tende pal sol” (in Italian “tende per il sole”).
    – egreg
    Jul 15 '21 at 16:08

I guess you mean this kind of curtains:

enter image description here

Source https://www.fabionodariphoto.com/burano-lisola-dei-colori/

In Burano, according to people living there who were consulted by a friend of mine, they're called tende pal sol; in Italian tende per il sole.


There is no "official" name for such a kind of curtain.

Usually they are named "tende ciniglia" o "tende in ciniglia" from the name of the material, which is chenille fabric.

chenille curtain

  • 3
    Welcome to Italian.SE! I don't think the question is referring to this kind of curtain.
    – Charo
    Jul 13 '21 at 20:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.