This translates to "She gave him all of her money." According to my Anki deck. Is the 'gli' somehow referring to 'him'?

Welcome to Italian.SE! In this sentence, "gli" is not an article: it's an indirect object pronoun.
    – Charo
    Jun 18, 2022 at 11:18
    Thanks Charo that allowed me to search for an explanation :)! If you place your comment as an answer I can accept it. Jun 18, 2022 at 11:31

1 Answer 1

As you can see in the VIVIT website, from Accademia della Crusca, the word "gli" in Italian is not only an article: it's also an indirect object personal pronoun.

This is the case in your sentence: "gli" is an indirect object personal pronoun, which can be masculine singular and then translated as "to him", as you can see in this table, or plural (see the answers to this question for more details) and translated as "to them", as stated in this other table.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.