Trovare stabilità in ciò che conosciamo e amiamo, e concentrarci sulle cose che danno significato e scopo alla vita.

What does "ci" mean in "concentrarci"? I could not find an explanation in Italian courses.

• Look for riflessivo, both in other questions here and in your grammar books.
    – DaG
    Commented Aug 22, 2022 at 8:19
  • hi i did, i only find in riflessivo in ci concentriamo ,but i will look
    – LoveIsHere
    Commented Aug 22, 2022 at 8:21

1 Answer 1

The English verb "concentrate", in its meaning of "focus", requires in Italian the reflexive form of concentrare.

Italian reflexive pronouns (mi, ti, si, ci, vi) can be attached at the end of the infinitive forms:

• concentrare + mi = concentrarmi
  • concentrare + si = concentrarsi
Italian Literal translation English
Mi concentro su qualcosa *I concentrate myself on something I concentrate on something
Ti concentri su qualcosa *You concentrate yourself on something You concentrate on something
Ci dobbiamo concentrare *We have to concentrate ourselves We have to concentrate
Concentrarci sulle cose che danno significato alla vita *Concentrating ourselves on things that give meaning to life Concentrating on things that make [our] life meaningful

NB: "To concentrate on things that make life meaningful" can also be translated as

• Concentrarmi sulle cose che danno significato alla vita, if I'm talking about myself,
  • Concentrarti, if I'm talking about you (singular),
  • Concentrarvi, if I'm talking about you (plural),
  • Concentrarsi, if I'm talking about him / her / in general.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.