What is the technical musical term for singing and sobbing at the same time? Can I say singhiozzio?

  • I was not aware; this would be used in opera, but I don't consider operas written after 1805. :-)
    – egreg
    Mar 3, 2023 at 14:42

1 Answer 1


The usual way would be with a gerund, like crescendo or diminuendo.

So my bet is on singhiozzando, which seems to be confirmed in Rigoletto, p. 14:

Excerpt from the opera Rigoletto, showing the word "singhiozzando" as an performance instruction.

This word is defined in the OnMusic Dictionary:


[Italian, sobbing]

A directive to perform the indicated passage of a composition with a sobbing effect, especially in vocal and string music where it can be marked by a strong portamento.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.