What is the plural of "il miglior fabbro", the famous epigraph of The Waste Land? Also, what exactly does it mean-- including connotations? (i.e. is it archaic?)

1 Answer 1

Il miglior fabbro in itself may mean both “the better smith” and “the best smith”. In Italian miglior(e) is both a comparative and a superlative form of buono (good). Probably the interpretation as “best” is the one an Italian reader would spontaneously give, out of context.

There is a rich context, though. Eliot takes miglior fabbro from Dante, whose words and images recur in The Waste Land. In the XXVI canto of Purgatory, Dante meets Guido Guinizelli, a poet he looked at as a master. But Guido turns Dante's attention to another soul, that of Provençal poet Arnaut Daniel, saying that he fu miglior fabbro del parlar materno, that is, “[he was] a better craftsman of his mother-tongue” (translation by Dorothy L. Sayers).

So, miglior fabbro are indeed ancient words, but are still in normal use. You might still say, talking about two artisans, that Mario è un miglior fabbro rispetto a Luigi (but ...un fabbro migliore... would sound more colloquial).

The plural form would simply be i migliori fabbri.

• May I ask why are you interested in the plural?
    – DaG
    Commented Apr 24, 2023 at 18:15
  • Thanks. It's for an acknowledgment section of a work where I'm indebted to several "better smiths".
    – Dwagg
    Commented Apr 25, 2023 at 19:36
  • I see, @Dwagg, thanks.
    – DaG
    Commented Apr 26, 2023 at 13:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.