What is an equivalent Italian expression for the phrase "actions speak louder than words"? (reference) This phrase is often used to in relation to someone's unfulfilled promises.

Example 1:

• A: I'll come tonight.
  • B: You said that last night, and the night before. Actions speak louder than words.

Example 2: He has many great ideas, but what good are they? Actions speak louder than words.

1 Answer 1

In Italian you would say "Contano i fatti, non le parole" which would mean (literally translated) "The facts are the ones that count, not words".

Following the same example you mentioned:

• A: Questa sera vengo, promesso
  • B: L'hai detto anche la notte scorsa e quella prima ancora. Contano i fatti, non le parole
    How interesting and beautiful! A new contributor answers a new contributor. And both question and answer are of good quality. And both persons have the same reputation. I had never seen a situation like this before in entire StackExchange websites. Keep going ;-) Oh, by the way, I'm a new contributor myself with less reputation x-D Jun 17, 2023 at 2:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.