For my exam I need to write a formal letter and I'm wondering if 'voi' is appropriate. Sometimes I hear it is only for informal and sometimes I hear it is formal and informal. I'm trying to be pedantic as my exam is a bit old fashioned.

2 Answers 2

‘Voi’ is considered a formal expression to refer to a group of people, sometimes it may be used also to refer to a single person (instead of ‘Lei’) but it is more common in the southern regions of Italy.

• Actually, it's informal (though almost universally accepted) to use voi for several persons. The formal way to address more than one person is Loro.
    – DaG
    Commented Apr 23 at 8:33
  • @DaG To me using Loro for several people feels unbelievably stuffy, not formal, at the level of parody. Is it still used in your idiolect? Rome must be a weirder place than I thought :).
    – Denis Nardin
    Commented Apr 24 at 9:57
  • @DenisNardin, no, the last time I heard it in real life it must have been several years ago (even though I won't deny Rome to be a weird place). On the other hand, I still consider it formal high use (perhaps, say, in some administrative act) and Serianni's Italiano (VII.84) gives loro on the same level as voi among the “pronomi allocutivi reverenziali”.
    – DaG
    Commented Apr 24 at 17:00
    @apaderno: Both loro and essi are pronouns for the third plural person (with slight difference in usage), while as a formal way to address more than one person only loro is (or was) used.
    – DaG
    Commented Jun 4 at 12:03
    @apaderno I feel there is some misunderstanding. Do you mean that the sentence is addressed to only one of the persons (as opposed to the group)?
    – Denis Nardin
    Commented Jun 4 at 18:31

Si! Its more formal ;) But in Italy we are not using it that often... You know everybody is your family

• Welcome to Italian.SE! Your answer could be improved with additional supporting information. Please edit to add further details, such as citations or documentation, so that others can confirm that your answer is correct. You can find more information on how to write good answers in the help center.
    – Charo
    Commented Apr 28 at 15:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.