In English, there are a bunch of grammatical or lexical concept that can be expressed in at least two ways depending on the level of formality, e.g.:

although/though 
do not/don't
dad/father

I am looking for similar word pairs for Italian. This is an example:

ma,però/tuttavia
retrocedere/andare indietro
restituire/dare indietro
    Even though this is an interesting topic, I doubt it is right for italian.SE: it doesn't admit a precise answer, but rather a list of examples. Other opinions?
    – DaG
    Jan 6 '14 at 16:01
    @DaG It's too broad, I believe. Every language has different linguistic registers; moreover the lexical choices can depend on the speaker's culture and background.
    – egreg
    Jan 6 '14 at 17:26
    @egreg: Way too broad, indeed. Almost any concept in almost any language has several ways to express it in different registers, from the most colloquial/slang/jocular to the most formal/elegant. Uomo, tizio, signore, individuo... Casa, domicilio, dimora... Cibo, roba da mangiare, alimenti... etc. Don't get me started on body parts, sexual practices and the like. And I'm not even taking into account the possibilities allowed by vezzeggiativi, peggiorativi and so on.
    – DaG
    Jan 6 '14 at 17:37
    the real trouble is that different linguistic registers in Italian are used in a funny way. In an legal text, for example, you will find velocipedi and not biciclette ...
    – mau
    Jan 6 '14 at 22:36
    @mau You also find obliterare instead of timbrare on ticket machines on buses. The worst is using ovvero meaning oppure (I find it alike to piuttosto che in adversative sense).
    – egreg
    Jan 7 '14 at 14:02