I lost my identity card a few days ago and need to have a new one issued. What is the Italian verb for "issue" in this case?


The proper translation of the verb "to issue" is "rilasciare", so you would say:

"Devo farmi rilasciare una nuova carta d'identità".

However, commonly you would use the active form, saying, for example:

"Devo richiedere una nuova carta di identità" (formal)

or just:

"Devo rifare la carta di identità" (informal and normally used while speaking)

"Rifare" is a verb which is mostly used in informal contexts and which means "fare di nuovo" (to do again).

  • 1
    It seems that you are translating the verb "to request", not the verb "to issue".
    – user193
    May 28 '14 at 0:34
  • 1
    @randomaltabuser Yes, but normally you wouldn't say "Devo farmi rilasciare una nuova carta d'identità"; you would the active form and user one of the two I proposed. But yes, "rilasciare" is, technically speaking, more correct. Thanks for noting, I'll edit my answer.
    – Teo Zec
    May 28 '14 at 5:40

The correct translation is "rilasciare". In your example: "Pochi giorni fa ho smarrito la carta di identità e devo farmene rilasciare una nuova."


“issue a new identity card”

Rilasciare una nuova carta d'identità


"need to have a new one issued"

There's not a word by word translation form "a new one issued". You should use the active form like this

Ho perso la carta di identità, devo richiederne una nuova.

  • "need to have a new one issued" can be translates "devo farmi rilasciare una nuova carta di identitá". Although that sounds convoluted
    – Bruno9779
    Jun 4 '14 at 17:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.