Simple question. I'm confused about when to use "ancora" vs "di nuovo".

They both mean "again", but there seems to be a slight difference in meaning.

Could someone explain the difference?

• In what context does ancora mean di nuovo? – egreg Aug 17 '14 at 20:47
  • @egreg E.g. Fallo ancora(=di nuovo) e ti do una sberla. – Bakuriu Aug 18 '14 at 6:26
  • Though I don't have this down, my Italian teacher says there is a difference between ancora and di nuova. I'll ask again and repost. – user2345 Apr 1 '16 at 18:17
up vote 10 down vote accepted

While di nuovo means only again, ancora can have different meanings.

For example it may be translated with still when it refers to the continuity of an action/state in time:

Sono ancora stanco del viaggio. (I'm still tired for the trip)

Or it can mean yet:

Non è ancora giunto il momento. (The moment has yet to come)

It can even mean more:

Ancora un quarto d'ora e ho finito (One more quarter of an hour and I'll finish this).

(Examples taken from Treccani.)

• So when the two words do mean the same thing, they are completely interchangeable? – Groky Aug 20 '14 at 17:16
  • @Groky Yes. Whenever you can use di nuovo you can also use ancora. At least I can't come up with any example where this isn't true. – Bakuriu Aug 21 '14 at 5:52

I guess it may be difficult to get for a non native. The main difference is that "ancora" in some cases is used to highlight that something is still happening, so to highlight that something started in the past and is still going on at present (or even future). "Di nuovo" means instead that something is happening again /anew. I suggest that you should have a look at these examples:

http://de.bab.la/woerterbuch/italienisch-englisch/ancora http://de.bab.la/woerterbuch/italienisch-englisch/di-nuovo

• Welcome to Italian.SE! – Charo Apr 1 '16 at 22:02

As Bakuriu has exhaustively explained, di nuovo indicates just the repetition of actions meanwhile ancora (pronounced ancòra instead of àncora, which mean anchor) alters its meaning depending on the context.

Furthermore, ancòra it's widely and variously (and not necessarily grammatically incorrect) employed in dialects along all the peninsula to describe temporal or hypotetical sentences when followed by a verb at its imperative.

Welcome, Luscinia! – DaG Oct 8 at 18:30
    Could you explain a bit better this dialectal use, adding a source and perhaps some example? – DaG Oct 8 at 18:31

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.