I would like someone to explain simply the difference between using 'a' or 'in' when talking about a place. An example of what I mean is a page title 'Walking in Florence'. Should it be

camminare a Firenze

or

camminare in Firenze

I am finding it hard to shake the English language idea that you do something 'inside' a place rather than 'at' a place.

Please try to have a look at this and this. – user193 Aug 19 '14 at 5:41
  • Also note that in your case it might be "camminare per Firenze" rather than "camminare a Firenze" (certainly not "camminare in Firenze"). – user193 Aug 20 '14 at 1:43
  • What I actually want to Use as a Subject line is 'Geocaching in Florence', written in Italian, but I didn't think anyone would know what Geocaching is. – Jim's Mum Aug 20 '14 at 5:46
    "Geocaching a Firenze" is OK - if you are concerned that the readers might have never heard of "geocaching" add a short detail, for example "Geocaching a Firenze (caccia al tesoro!)". – user193 Aug 20 '14 at 6:29
    Thank you for the suggestion. It is clever and obvious at the same time. I am gratifies that you actually know what I am talking about No I have to write the body of the blog entry VERY VERY SLOWLY :) – Jim's Mum Aug 20 '14 at 23:51