After listening to this very funny song (with Mina and Celentano) and even though I know what this question means: “Che t'aggia di'?” = “What do I have to say to you?”, I still don't know and can't find what “aggia” is or means. I have been told that this phrase is from Naples.

You can re-write is as che ti aggio a dire?. Well, it is clear that aggio is directly from Latin habeo where b gradually became gg. Cfr here (lo sviluppo di /e/ in semivocale /j/). – user193 Sep 11 '14 at 20:19
    Wrt the meaning, "Che t'aggi' 'a di'" is more similar to the English idioms "What can I tell you?" and "What can I say?" – gioele Nov 16 '14 at 21:25

It's a regional form in "dialetto pugliese" (the dialect spoken in the Apulia region of Italy) of the first person singular in the present tense of the verb "avere" (to have). In standard Italian it would be "Che ho da dirti?" o "Che ti devo dire?"

You can find it in Wikipedia.

• molto utile!!!!!!!! – Vic Sep 12 '14 at 7:28
    It is not pugliese, it is napoletano (from Naples). It takes the riff from an extremely famous song dated 1938 (named "Che t'aggi' 'a di'"). You can find performances by Sergio Bruni or Peppino di Capri. – N74 Nov 2 '15 at 16:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.