I want to say good-bye to my professor but I said "salve". "Salve" is to say hi and is formal (more than "ciao"). Then she said that it was not "salve" but did not tell me how to say good-bye. So can anybody tell me how to say it please? :)

Please, avoid phrases like “respond asap”: nobody here is paid for helping you. – egreg Jan 29 '15 at 13:21

"Arrivederci" is the most appropriate form to say goodbye to someone if you're in a formal context: please note that it theoretically expresses a wish to see the person you've talked to again; if you're on the phone, you could use "A risentirci" instead.
If you're looking for something even more formal, you can use "A rivederLa".

To a professor (or anyone formal-speaking person), I'd use "arrivederLa" (note the capital letter on the L). That's because the formal Italian uses the 3rd person singular feminine. The capital letter is mandatory for writing, also because formal requires capitals. – Mario Vernari Jan 29 '15 at 9:03
  • @MarioVernari you're right, I've updated my answer – Stubborn Jan 29 '15 at 12:50
    @MarioVernari How do you make clear that you're saying arrivederLa with a capital L? ;-) I find that usage of capital letters very bureaucratic and not at all mandatory: the third person is sufficient. – egreg Jan 29 '15 at 13:20
    @egreg I should dig, but you might be right on the improper "mandatory". I learned yet always used the capital letter for formality, and also always read in that way. – Mario Vernari Jan 29 '15 at 13:57
  • @MarioVernari It's “mandatory” in bureaucratic style; it shows (false) deference or even (false) submissiveness, particularly when accompanied with “la Signoria Vostra” when “lei” would suffice. If I were to report a dialogue, I'd write “arrivederla” with no doubt. – egreg Jan 29 '15 at 14:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.