Since I like singing opera, I sing “Nella fantasia” but I always wondered what does nella mean in this phrase? I know that fantasia means “fantasy”.

• Is “Nella fantasia” an aria from some opera? I am not familiar with it. – DaG Jan 31 '15 at 8:52
    @DaG: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nella_Fantasia – Charo Jan 31 '15 at 9:23
    @Tia27, why are you so averse to proper quotes and italics? – DaG Jan 31 '15 at 21:40
    @Tia27: If you say so. But please keep in mind that as it is now, your question is less readable: it's more difficult which words you are using and which you are talking about (and “Nella” is also an Italian female name). – DaG Feb 1 '15 at 9:28
    I agree with @DaG. – Charo Feb 1 '15 at 10:25

In English, it means "In": "Nella fantasia" ("In the fantasy") answers (even if figuratively) to the question "Where?"

| improve this answer | |

"Nella" is the contraction of the preposition "in" and the article "la":

"in" + "la" = "nella".

For other contractions of Italian prepositions with articles, you can see this.

Even if what other people have answered is true, the translation is not correct. That depends on the fact that this is a irregular construct. Generally speaking "Nella" means in + la, so it translates to in + the. Nella casa = In the house. In this case, though, it doesn't mean in the fantasy, it means In Fantasy; it can also be translated with In fantasies. The closest translation, though, is probably In Dreams, as Fantasy in English has a stronger "Something I can think of, but won't happen" connotation, in Italian, in this contest, it's closer to "Something dreamy I really wish it would happen, whether it will or not".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.