Besides the fact that 'i frutti' can assume a metaphoric meaning which 'la frutta' does not have, is there any other difference between these two wordings?

Yes. Besides the metaphoric meaning you already mentioned (that is widely used), in gereral frutta refers to a type of food, whereas frutti indicates multiple pieces of fruit grouped according to some criterion, usually the fact that they come from a given plant. For instance, you say i frutti di quell'albero sono molto dolci ("the fruits of that tree are very sweat"), and la frutta è un alimento sano ("fruit is healthy"). As usual, handle with care: you may be tempted to say porta i frutti to mean "bring the fruit", but you should use frutta instead. There are grey areas: i frutti più buoni sono quelli appena colti and la frutta più buona è quella appena colta sound both fine to me, but YMMV and regionalisms may kick in of course.

| improve this answer | |
  • It is yet again one of those words with a double plural, like "osso" , and the difference between the two plurals follows the same rule. There was a question about this but I can't find it any more. – laureapresa Mar 14 '15 at 7:29
    To complement the remark by @writingthesis, keep in mind that frutta used to be a plural form of frutto (le frutta). As for some other double plurals (le membra / i membri, le budella / i budelli etc.) the “neuter” one (the one in -a) refers to a generic set of similar things, while the masculine one (in -i) refers to several distinct items. – DaG Mar 14 '15 at 8:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.