Vicino vs vicina:

Il supermercato è vicino al ponte.

Sounds right, as both "supermercato" and "ponte" are masculine.

La libreria è vicina al parco.

Doesn't make sense to me because "parco" is masculine. Is it because "libreria" is feminine? Does it take the gender of the subject?

• I notice now that a very similar topic has been covered at least two times, here and here.
    – DaG
    Apr 13 '15 at 8:04
  • Yes, I saw the first one, but it didn't help much. It only asked the difference between vicino and vicina, not how they were used. That's why I included the two examples. As for the second example, it's in Italian, and I'm just starting to learn Italian, so it was not helpful for me. Apr 13 '15 at 18:58

Yes, the adjective governed by the verb essere (to be) takes the gender of the subject, and in your sentence libreria is indeed the subject. Think “la libreria è bella”, and compare with “la libreria è vicina (al parco)”.

• I'm not really convinced. What about la libreria è situata vicino al parco? Do you see any difference in the grammatical role of vicino?
    – egreg
    Apr 13 '15 at 7:50
  • Of course, @egreg, that is a different use of vicino, as an adverb rather than as an adjective, and as such it is invariant; I might even write, say, la libreria sta vicino al parco, but la libreria è vicinX al parco sounds more like a description of the bookshop, and as such I'd use an adjective.
    – DaG
    Apr 13 '15 at 8:02
  • It seems to me more like the description of the bookshop's location.
    – egreg
    Apr 13 '15 at 9:08
  • Yes, @greg, and by the same token we might say that la libreria è rossa is a description of the bookshop's colour, but I cannot see how this affect the agreement between noun and adjective. Do you actually find it more idiomatic to say la libreria è vicino al parco? (Not a rethorical question.)
    – DaG
    Apr 13 '15 at 10:58
  • la libreria è vicino al parco refers to the park; la libreria è ampia refers to the bookshop. I'm not saying the first is better or worse than using vicina, I'm only saying it's not “black and white”.
    – egreg
    Apr 13 '15 at 20:01

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.