Is there any difference between the two phrase la settimana scorsa vs la scorsa settimana?

For instance, I found the following sentence in my Rosetta Stone program:

Mio padre è morto la scorsa settimana.

But while I don't remember the sentence, I also read the sentence that uses la settimana scorsa.

Similarly, does the la settimana prossima have the same meaning as la prossima settimana?

No there is no difference in meaning between:

• la settimana scorsa/prossima

vs

• la scorsa/prossima settimana.

Ngram shows that usages of both forms are common.

• You can refer here for rules regarding adjectives order in the Italian language:
| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks. It's interesting to see that la settimana scorsa is used more often than la scorsa settimana but in the case of prossima, it's reversed. – Blaszard Jun 24 '15 at 22:09

The two options are identical in the meaning, in some regions "la scorsa settimana" is used more often than "la settimana scorsa" in others is the opposite ( depends on the dialect influence),anyway depends also to the position in the sentence: "la settimana scorsa sono stato in montagna" is more common than "la scorsa settimana sono stato in montagna". But you have to know that the difference is pratically zero.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.