Does anyone know where I might be able to find a list of 5000-20000 common Italian words with translations ? I learn to read languages very efficiently by cramming vocabulary but I can't find such resources (beyond dictionaries).

Welcome to Italian SE! "A list of 5000-20000 most common words with translation" is a dictionary, simply by definition. Nobody could possibly provide it in any other format. You might find useful our reference list, if you need something beyond dictionaries. – I.M. Jun 28 '15 at 18:19
  • Well, can you point me to such a small dictionary ? My pocket dictionary is 75,000 words. For other languages I have learned I have had such resources available e.g. in Latin the-orb.net/latwords.html – J. LS Jun 28 '15 at 20:21
    You can start with something like A short Italian dictionary in two volumes (IT-EN and EN-IT). Just beware of the year of publication and don't expect to find words like "computer" in there. And then Amazon offers plenty of abridged/pocket vocabularies; try to look at 5000 words compilation and go through the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" list to find something to your taste. – I.M. Jun 28 '15 at 21:11
  • I can't buy books, I really need a free online list. – J. LS Jun 28 '15 at 21:24
    "A short Italian dictionary" is free; you can read it online or download as a pdf, epub, or txt file. For anything else, I'm afraid to ask, have you tried googling "most common Italian words"? Later you can always come to Italian SE, if you encounter a specific or unexplainable issue. – I.M. Jun 28 '15 at 21:32

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.