Giving a time estimate in days is always written in this way

10gg

Here "gg" refers to days, more precisely "giorni", but here there's only one g present.

My question is where "gg" is coming from?

Is it from the date format?

gg/MM/aaaa
    No, not from the date format. Doubling is a way of expressing the plural. Sometimes the last character of an abbreviation is doubled, as in pagg, meaning pages. Sometimes Italians forget this rule, e.g., many people think that SS. stands for santissimi, while it simply stands for santi, saints. Jul 6 '15 at 14:04
    This question currently has a comment that should be an answer and an answer that should be a comment. Jul 6 '15 at 18:59
  • @FedericoPoloni, yes, that happens sometimes on StackExchange, and it's unfortunate. In my case it's not bad will, it's the dwindling time. A real answer should be checked and reasonably complete, and that takes time :-( Anyway, collaboration is welcome on StackExchange, so, if someone wants to write an answer building on my comment... Jul 7 '15 at 16:03
  • I have Swiss map from 1696, the river Maggia is written with one g. The town Maggia is written with one g. In Gordevio there is a church, SS Gaicomo e Filipo, the church was build in the 1400 century and rebuild in 1700 century. There are 2 tombs by the church entry, both tombs have the name Gagioni. I know that village has Gaggioni with 2 gg. I thought maybe the Latin language would write with 1 g, where the Italian language for pronunciation would use 2 gg. Feb 7 '19 at 15:56
    @EnricoGiovanni: Welcome to Italian.SE! Unfortunately it's the other way round: often people in Northern Italy (and, of course, the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland) would forget how many gs the correct orthography has (because, as you're probably aware, geminate consonants disappeared in their regional language.
    – Denis Nardin
    Feb 7 '19 at 16:37

Vedi la tabella allegata per le abbreviazioni più comuni e il loro corrispettivo in inglese:

See the linked table for the most common abbreviations:

Abbreviazioni:

giorno:

• g. - giorno (d. -day)

giorni:

• gg. - giorni (dd. -days)

La doppia g viene usata come plurale della singola g. Vedi ad esempio

The double g is used as plural of the single g, for example:

• Sig. - Signore

• Sigg. - Signori

Non vale solo per la g: "I proff. Tizio e Caio", "Le ss.vv. sono invitate", "Capitolo 3 e segg.". Jul 9 '15 at 9:52
    I confirm. In Salerno there is an hospital that was merged with another one, and its full name is "Ospedali Riuniti S. Giovanni di Dio e Ruggi D'Aragona". The label in front of the hospital abbreviated to "OO. RR. S. Giovanni di Dio e Ruggi D'aragona". I don't live in Salerno anymore, but I assume it is still like that.
    – funforums
    Jul 9 '15 at 12:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.