Italian words with the format vowel + s + vowel are typically pronounced /z/, like:

• mese
  • cosa
  • esercizio

But some words break this rule, and are pronounced /s/, like:

• stasera (because it comes from "sera", which has an initial s and is always pronounced /s/)
  • presidente (I don't know if there's a reason for this one)

Are there any other words that follow the pattern of "stasera" and "presidente"?

• What is "mesa"? However I've got the feeling that this would be too broad to be answered here.
    – kos
    Jul 14, 2015 at 18:48
  • You're right, I meant mese, I'll change it. I don't know about broad, I'd just like to know if there are any other words. Those are the only two I could find
    – nachocab
    Jul 14, 2015 at 18:50
  • Right, but "prestare" isn't vowel + s + vowel. All words that have an "s" followed by a consonant like "t" are pronounced /s/
    – nachocab
    Jul 14, 2015 at 19:08
  • Ah you're right! Then I'll go for "presidiare" ("presidio", "presidi", "presidia", [...], "presidiante", "presidiato", [...])
    – kos
    Jul 14, 2015 at 19:10
    Yes, personally I'd suggest to begin by following “standard Italian” pronunciation, and at the same time – if so inclined – paying attention to the different regional variants. For instance, you'll notice that zio (“uncle”) is often pronounced /dzio/ rather than the “standard” /tsio/; and some people, especially in the North, open their closed vowels, so that /per'ke/ (perché, “why/because”) becomes /per'kɛ/, orthographical cue notwithstanding.
    – DaG
    Jul 14, 2015 at 20:01

4 Answers 4

There is not a fixed rule for which words in which an intervocalic “s” occurs are to be pronounced with a /s/ and which ones with a /z/. Short of having well clear the origin and evolution of each word, one has to check each on a dictionary.

Of the examples in the question, the tradizional, standard Italian pronunciation for mese is /'mese/ (see Dizionario di ortografia e pronunzia by Migliorini et al., Treccani dictionary, De Mauro dictionary, the paper ones I have checked – Devoto-Oli, Zingarelli – etc.), for cosa is /'kɔsa/ (DOP, Treccani, De Mauro), while for esercizio is /ezer'tʃitsjo/ (DOP, Treccani, De Mauro). So two out of three have /s/ rather than /z/.

Other works, like the already mentioned one by Canepari, take into account regional variants which can differ from these.

Especially for a foreigner studying Italian, personally I'd suggest to begin by following “standard Italian” pronunciation, while at the same time – if so inclined – paying attention to the different regional variants. For instance, one will notice that zio (“uncle”) is often pronounced /dzio/ rather than the “standard” /tsio/; and some people, especially in the North, open their closed vowels, so that /per'ke/ (perché, “why/because”) becomes /per'kɛ/, orthographical cue notwithstanding.

Disclaimer: I am Italian native speaker but not a linguist nor an expert of any sort.

In my experience this is highly regional and maybe even simply north / south. F.ex. I cannot imagine anyone from Napoli (south Italy) pronouncing "mese" or "cosa" with the /z/ (it's always /s/) and I cannot imagine anyone from Bologna (north Italy) pronouncing them with /s/ (it's always /z/).

Actually - as I lived many years in the north - I'm trying to think of any "vowel + s + vowel" non-composite word that a northerner would pronounce with /s/ and none is coming to my mind. I will update this post if some does come to my mind.

• I remember a priest in Catania who always said /spiritozanto/, pronouncing “Spirito Santo” as a single word.
    – egreg
    Aug 20, 2015 at 20:01

According to the "Dizionario di Pronuncia Italiana" of L. Canepari, the modern and neutral pronunciation tends to use /s/ (unvoiced) between vowels only in the case of composite words, in which the second element starts with -sV- (V is any vowel) and maintains an independent semantic value. This is the case of "stasera" and "presidente" (comes from the Latin present participle praesidēre formed by "siedere" with "pre" as a prefix). Other examples are: "controsenso", "caposala", "presalario", "risalire", "risaltare", "girasole", etc. Despite this general rule you can hear /-VzV-/ in the South.

You claim your first examples to be an "S sonora". I couldn't understand the difference, because in my Italian pronunciation (I am a native Italian speaker) all your examples sound the same. So I did some research and it turns out that, as a general rule, vowel + s + vowel should be a "S sorda" (your second list of examples), but exceptions might arise depending of the region in Italy, making your question very interesting to me. I hope this wikipedia page helps you: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_sorda

Welcome to Italian.SE!
    – Charo
    Jul 14, 2015 at 21:35
    Esercizio con la “s sorda” mi farebbe rizzare i capelli, esattamente come Brasile con lo stesso suono.
    – egreg
    Jul 18, 2015 at 20:29
    Ok, apprezzo la tua opinione, per me sono entrambi accettabili. Jul 18, 2015 at 20:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.