From my understanding, me as a clitic is reserved for tonic clitics (stressed). And as indirect pronoun, in this instance shouldn't we use mi instead?

PS: this is one of the translation question from Duolingo.

• Languages are funny! I'm pretty sure you can find Lo mi disse in some (very) old Italian text, when the inversion of the pronouns was pretty common, but not “mi lo disse”. In the sentence you're asking about, me is unstressed clitic as well. – egreg Sep 15 '15 at 8:04

Mi, ti, si, ci and vi, if followed by the pronoun ne, become me, te, se, ce, ve. The same happens if they are followed by lo, la, li, le.

Examples:
Me lo ha detto lui (Lui mi ha detto una cosa)
Te la ha data lei, questa notizia (Ti ha dato lei questa notizia); “Te l'ha data” is the same as “te la ha data”.

| improve this answer | |

When followed by a direct object pronoun, the pronouns mi, ti, ci, vi and si are replaced with me, te, ce, ve and se, respectively.

The same rule applies to gli, but together with the direct pronoun it must be replaced with a contracted form:

gli + lo => glielo, gli + la => gliela, etc...

You can find a better and more thorough explanation here

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.